New Fic of the Week: 2/6/12

February 10, 2012

Crash & Burn by TwiStarJunkie
Review by Dragonfly336

Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Angst
Characters: Edward & Bella

Summary: When Bella Swan moves to Forks and runs into the Cullens, she finally feels like she's home, but the absence of one proves to trouble her. Edward, now the black sheep of the family, lives life plagued by drug addiction. Could Bella be his saving grace?

I am a sucker for a good story about addiction. So when I read the summary to Crash & Burn by TwiStarJunkie, I had to give it a go. At six chapters in, I haven’t regretted it since.

We first meet Bella when she is about to leave her and Charlie’s home in Lake Arthur, Louisiana to go back to Forks, where they lived until she was thirteen. Bella and Alice were best friends growing up and she was close to the rest of the Cullen’s as well. She recently reconnected with Alice via Facebook and she decided she needed a fresh start, because of the demons of her past, she decides Forks is the place to go. Bella notices that Alice never speaks of Edward and wonders what happened to him. She confronts Alice about it many times, but she gives Bella no answers. When she finally gets to Forks, she is reunited with all the Cullen’s, except for Edward. She overhears Emmett on the phone and learns what has become of Edward.

When the line went dead, I pocketed my phone and turned back to see Emmett talking heatedly into his phone. I had hid around the side of the house so I was out of his sight. 

"I told you, don't you dare fucking show up here! Do you really want her friend to see that? Christ, Edward, you can't even manage to button your damn clothes correctly, much less walk in a straight fucking line. Do you really think that I'm going to tell you to get in a car, knowing you're fucking high as a kite right now? Mark my words; if I see you pull up, I'm calling the fucking cops." With that, Emmett ended the call and slid the phone into his back pocket. 

My stomach plummeted. Was I strong enough to do this? Edward was a drug addict. That thought made me uneasy, but in the end, I decided that there was no way I could live in the same city as him and not go by to at least say hi. I needed to see him for myself. 

I quietly walked up beside Emmett. "You still aren't ready to feed me?" I asked as my stomach gurgled. 

"Almost. I take it that you overheard some of that?" he asked with a sigh. 

"Some, but it's all right. It's not my business. Do you have any advice for me since I'm staying with Alice and Jasper until the house is done?" 

"You'll need pillows to sleep on, and then an extra to smother your face with." 

Bella does find out about Edward’s past through Emmett later that night. She gets upset by the attitude that Emmett has that his brother has always been completely in the wrong and wants to get the other side of the story. She decides to pay Edward a visit earlier than she intended to.

"I'm sorry, but…who the hell are you?" he asked hoarsely. Even with the hoarseness, his voice was still velvet smooth as it washed over me. This was not fucking good for me. Having such a strong reaction to someone I'd always thought of as a brother…yet, I was feeling everything but sisterly right now. 

"You don't recognize me?" I asked him softly. 

He took a step back, his eyes raking over me. After a moment, he scratched at his head and took a drag off of his cigarette. "Am I supposed to know you or something?" 

"Well I would hope so," I answered, placing my hands on my hips and arching a brow at him. 

"I'm drawing a blank, doll. I think you've got the wrong guy." With that he turned and began to head back inside the house. 

"You didn't say goodbye to me when I left fifteen years ago, Edward Cullen, so I'll be damned if I let you turn me away now without so much as a fucking hello," I barked. 

I watched as he stopped and whipped around suddenly, eyes narrowed as he puffed at his cigarette. He seemed to be trying to think back, which didn't take long because seconds later, his eyes widened and the cigarette fell to the ground beside him. 

"Bella?" 

I really like this Bella. She is a little hardened by her past, but she has learned to be upfront with people and has a take-no-bullshit attitude. This story also has the dynamic of Edward’s family wanting absolutely nothing to do with him, which is a nice twist from the supportive Cullen clan that we are used to. TwiStarJunkie seamlessly weaves some humor into the heavy also. I can’t wait to find out how this story plays out! So, come and join me! You won’t regret it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment